my blog title explained:

It's what I often say to my husband. Especially when he's frustrated that I'm running late for church. There comes a time when certain happenings just shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Diet Pepsi and a Maple Bar - The Breakfast of Champions

Okay....KIDDING! I actually had my usual for breakfast. I'm kind of freaky about health, now. I think it comes with getting closer to 40. So every day I eat eggs and oatmeal for breakfast.

I am eating a maple bar with a Diet Pepsi right now, though - they're just a snack. Like that makes it healthier. It does help, though, that I spent an hour on the recumbent bike yesterday, so my butt and my hamstrings are killing me today. I always feel more excited about snacking on junk if my muscles are sore. Not sure where the logic in that is, but I'll roll with it.

I have a theory. Actually, I have lots of theories. But the theory I was thinking of is the one about what kind of day you're destined to have when you have a Diet Pepsi for breakfast. And since I eat the same thing for breakfast every day, I would count having a Diet Pepsi for breakfast if I had one before noon.

The day didn't start off well. It may be a "3 Diet Pepsi's" day, or maybe more. I really do try to limit my intake because I've noticed in the last year that I really start to swell when I drink soda.

On to a different topic, but I swear it ties in...... We got a dog yesterday. I'm not sure she's staying. She's a toy eskimo/chihuahua, so she looks like a mix between a coyote and a chihuahua. She's not cute. But she's really sweet. And very obedient.

And then she PEED on me this morning!!!!! I had just taken her outside to go to the bathroom, but apparently she wasn't done. I was so annoyed.

Matt's allergic to dogs, so the breeder that we adopted her from has agreed to give us a weekend trial to see if he has a problem with this dog. We're adopting a puppy from her in January - a wolf/malamute. That dog will primarily be an outside dog. But the little one we have now would be inside and I'm not sure getting a 2 year old dog is working. It's harder to train an older dog. And she's never worn a collar, so she hates that.

Anyhoo - I'm trying to adjust to the dog. But back to my morning - and the reason for my Diet Pepsi at 10 a.m. Tonight is the trunk or treat church activity. Primary is in charge of one of the booths, so I need to get the prizes for that. And Matt got an assignment to bring chili, so I had to run to the store this morning and get all the stuff and then make the chili so it can cook in the crockpot. (I have this pride thing when it comes to my chili - I have to make an effort because once, a long time ago, I won the chili cookoff. I still have the little plastic trophy with the sticker on it, announcing me the winner. Otherwise, I would have bought canned chili and just claimed it.)

So basically, I got up, took the dog outside, got peed on (after we came back inside), did the dishes, made my breakfast, ran to the store (with the kids), made chili, and now I'm drinking my Diet Pepsi and writing in my blog. I guess I should have picked up the candy for prizes today when I was at the store, but you know how it is when you have 3 kids with you at the store. You always forget something.

OH! I almost forgot to include a whining, crying child in my sob story. My 4 year old is now doing the fake wail. Earlier it was just whining, but now it's that "The world is coming to an end! Oh, poor me! Poor me! Waaaaaa!" fake cry. All because she has to clean her room. ANOTHER reason I'm drinking a Diet Pepsi before noon.

You'd think I was addicted to Diet Pepsi. I'm not. I just drink it to fight headaches. And this morning I was fighting one off early. :)

8 comments:

Melissa said...

A dog?!? Are you out of your mind? We don't like cleaning up after own kids girl! (holla Matt!) Why would you add another "child" to the list? You know it's mom who really is the dog caretaker....hence the fact there is no dog in my home yet. There just isn't enough love in this tiny cold heart of mine. Wake up and get rid of the canine. Make it a hamster, better yet - beta fish. Love you - Cioa

Melissa said...

P.S. - Diet Coke is the drink of real women (no wonder you fell for the "let's get a dog" trick) - your mind is clearly under a Diet Pepsi coma.

Tracy said...

LOL! Notice I said I don't think she's staying. She's sweet, but so is chocolate.

Annie said...

What EVER you have to do to get through the day, right?!?! I have convinced myself that an oatmeal cookie for breakfast is okay. After all it does have oatmeal in it?!?! Mmmmm... the thought of that maple bar... hope you enjoy it!

Della Hill said...

So, (based on your own comment), are you giving up chocolate too?
Now, are you a straight diet Pepsi drinker or do you go for the cherry or vanilla variety?
I used to be a HUGE diet soda drinker (3 cans was a slow day), but I kicked the habit in June.
I have 4 months clean and it feels great.
Good luck with the dog. (I love the 2 I have).
I loved the crossfire post too.
-Della

DAYTONA 5220 said...

Melissa,
If you don’t mind me saying, you are quite the intellectual behemoth. I agree completely with you on the dog assessment. Your husband is a lucky guy.
It’s not that I have a cold Darth Vader heart, (well, maybe that is partly it), but rather a lack of enthusiasm for additional “cleaning” responsibility and malodorous messes that don’t involve camping, fishing or hunting. Those would be acceptable. It would also be acceptable if the dog helped me to camp, fish or hunt.
Personally, I think Tracy got too little Cola elixir too late in the morning to think clearly on the dog decision.
In terms of pets, I recommend a stuffed large mouth bass. I have on of those on the wall in my garage. You can even put batteries in and he will sing a song when you walk by. Very classy.

Daytona 5220

Tracy said...

Della - bite your tongue! I'd never give up chocolate. It doesn't pee on me. :D

Daytona 5220 - let's define class. I'm pretty sure that no matter how we break it down, nowhere would we find a fish on the wall that sings.

melissabastow said...

That's so funny. I have diet Pepsi for breakfast regularly. Once my husband bought me diet Shasta Cola, and I still drank it for breakfast. And sometimes I'll have a Diet Coke because that's what they have in the popmachine at the gas station by me. I'm not picky, as long as I get some caffeine.
Oh, and I also poo-poo on the idea of a dog. But I am also cruel and heartless when it comes to small hairy things. (So it's a good thing my babies come out mostly bald.)