The elections were coming. I was not liking how it was going after the primaries. I have been very troubled by this election. We had candidates that I was not happy with and propositions that were very controversial.
When Prop 8 was first introduced, I thought, "What's the big deal?" I didn't think it was worth worrying over and didn't particularly feel a need to fight for it. But then we got instructions from the First Presidency of our church. I was shocked. It didn't take long to get on board, though.
The more I learned about what was happening, not just in California, but all over the nation regarding gay marriage, the more concerned I got. And the more vested I became in the fight for Prop 8. I've never hated gay people. I have gay friends that I love. And I was heartbroken that they would be sad or angry that I was supporting Prop 8. But we are commanded to follow the prophet. And the prophet said we needed to do all we could to support Prop 8. So we did.
We cut our own expenses to contribute money and we volunteered our time. We posted signs and shared opinions. We did it because we felt in our hearts it was right.
The Bible story that has repeatedly come to mind is the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis 22.
1 And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham, and said unto him, Abraham: and he said, Behold, here I am.
16 And said, By myself have I sworn, saith the Lord, for because thou hast done this thing, and hast not withheld thy son, thine only son:
We were asked to support Prop 8. Regardless of how we feel about it, it was a commandment. I never thought we would be asked to just blindly follow. I didn't even realize at first the similarities in what we were asked to do and what Abraham was asked to do. My testimony has grown because of it.
Today, someone asked about our views on Prop 8 since it passed. This is what I posted:
this is a sensitive subject
Posted by Tracy on 11/5/2008, 14:54:07, in reply to "prop 8"
While I supported and voted for Prop 8, I understand that there are others who are hurt by it. But we had conflicting rights and concerns and one side had to win. And while it could have been initiated and accomplished in a different way to appease everyone, there's always the chance that no matter what anyone came up with, people wouldn't have been happy.My heart breaks for those that are hurting. But I feel that the people's voices were heard and should be respected. And I think the fact that California and the nation voted Obama in as president proves that we're not a nation and people controlled by prejudice and descrimination. Prop 8 was not a civil rights issue and didn't pass because people were prejudiced. It passed because people have fundamental beliefs about the family.
I really hope that we can all accept things and find ways to live together, instead of continuing to fight. I fought hard for Prop 8, and I'd do it again. But that doesn't mean I enjoyed it or that I want the contention to continue. I really hope we, as a people, can heal after this election.
Since that post, I have received numerous replies that have been excruciatingly hateful. I am amazed at the level of anger and hatred that has multiplied since we fought for something the Lord set for us. I thought the fight would be over after the election. But I'm comforted knowing that we obeyed and we did what we knew to be right.
In D&C 4:2, it reads: "Therefore, O ye that embark in the service of God, see that ye serve him with all your heart, might, mind and strength, that ye may stand blameless before God at the last day."
Stepping away from Prop 8 and towards the election in general, I am deeply troubled that John McCain and Barack Obama were the best our country had to offer. I liked John McCain slightly better than Obama. Or maybe I should say, I thought he'd be a better president. I didn't like either of them. But Obama won and now we're moving into a new administration.
I have said on many occasions in political discussions that I don't think any policy or law is going to fix our country until we fix the character and integrity of the people and rebuild the family. We are in a different world than ever before.
I don't think there has EVER been a time when good and righteous parenting was more important. It is imperative that we all, as mothers, fathers, teachers, leaders, take it upon ourselves to teach our children what is right. To strengthen their spirits that they might have the fortitude to overcome the world that is falling apart around them. We have an obligation to provide our children with the knowledge and understanding to take on the challenges that they will face and find ways to improve life for themselves and others. We need to raise future teachers and leaders. People who will, when asked, follow the Lord. Even blindly, if asked to do so. I'm overwhelmed by these responsibilities. But I will try my hardest to be the kind of mom I need to be and follow the Lord.
Yesterday, after the election, I thought the fight was over. But today it's becoming more clear to me that it's really just beginning.





6 comments:
Great post!
It was especially poignant at the end. It is just the beginning. This has been good training for us, I guess.
You have done a great job, you should be proud of your efforts. The "victory" is bittersweet, but it is what is best for society.
Thanks!
Thanks for commenting my blog!! I finally got a chance to check yours out (you know how it is trying to get a couple minutes for yourself!! haha)
I love this post I'm extremely passionate about Prop8 as well and I'm glad you took the time to explain your thoughts in an impactful way!
Tracy,
Thanks so much for your positive feedback on my blog! I am grateful for it. I'm glad you have the courage to not be a "closet reader."
Yesterday my blog had over 200 hits, but only a few comments. I appreciate your willingness to speak up and share your thoughts!
sb
I love you girl - keep fighting the good fight. I'm so proud of all that you did (and I'm sure will do) toward protecting marriage (man+women) Have a great day. Oh! Now that you are done saving the state of California (for now) ...get to cleaning!
♥ your blog! Thanks for sharing :)
This was a great post (I've just been blog surfing and came upon yours). My best friend lives in Bay Area and it was hard for her to do what the Church asked...to go door to door about it, but she did it. I respect her and all of you who did the same so very much. This is indeed a difficult subject, but I have always felt that it must be very important to the Lord if the prophet is asking us to get involved, as the church rarely gets involved in politics.
Anyway...so good job! And thank you. I'll visit again!
Post a Comment