my blog title explained:

It's what I often say to my husband. Especially when he's frustrated that I'm running late for church. There comes a time when certain happenings just shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just Say No!

I wanted to have a New Year's resolution, but I didn't want it to be just another resolution that I write down and never even think about again. One of my goals for 2009 is to be more balanced. But I still felt like I needed some more defined goals, so I've come up with another one.

I want to be better about saying NO. I'm usually so concerned about not pleasing everyone, I won't say NO. But this year, I'm going to make it a GOAL. Maybe that will make it easier.

And then I thought....I have a lot of friends who have a hard time saying NO. Maybe they'd like to join my "Just Say No" club, too.

So if you have the same problem, and want to try to overcome it and say NO more often, reply to this post and join the throng of peoplepleasers who want to reform.

JUST SAY NO!!!!

22 comments:

Gosfam said...

JUST SAY NO!! I want to join. I actually made a decision when we moved to be better and I have so far, but want to continue. So I want to be an official member.

Mammamia said...

I'm with you! I need more balance and more No's. Someone once told me it's okay to say, "I'd really love to but I can't." I find half my problem is finding an excuse that sounds good enough. Part of me thinks this phrases is a cop out and part of me thinks it's really great. I guess it all depends on the situation.

Good luck!!

Kristin said...

I have issues (you know this already), but I don't have a problem with NO. I know I need to say it for my own sanity and for the selfishness of my family (i.e., I KNOW I can't overextend all of us)

Did that even make sense? Probably not. Now I just sound like a brat. =)

Tracy said...

LOL! You don't sound like a brat! I need to figure out how you say no and don't feel guilty.

R Allen said...

What if you ask them to join your "Just Say No Club" and they just say "No"?

Does that mean they're automatically enrolled?

chelle said...

Just say no. You are so funny and so right. m

ps
I am going to post about being more balanced tomorrow. That is so weird.

Tracy said...

LOL, R Max! I think you're right - automatic enrollment. LOL!

Unknown said...

thanks for coming over to my blog! i have to say i always say the same thing to my husband "how long have we been married" he forgets i don't like cheese or mayonnaise.. i didn't just start not liking them i haven't liked them for 32 years..actually 34 years he has known me.. remember me i am your wife.. i remember how you like your (g's) folded.. that you want cottage cheese and pork and beans at the same time come on that is not normal.. lol!!...ok sorry your title got me started ...lol you have a great blog!! come back and visit me some time!!

rich and steph said...

I am new to your blog and I love it! The just say No is an awesome resolution. I say yes too many times and regret it later. So I am joining your club:)

Erin said...

Ooh, I like this resolution! I think I might adopt it :)

Kate said...

I wish I could get that one down. I can never say NO. I think people know that because I am always asked to do things that others would never do. This has been a problem for my whole life. Thanks for following me. Great blog.

Kristi said...

I have saying no down! I have a friend that always calls and asks me crazy things like "can I borrow some chicken" or "Will you come to my house and watch my kids so I can return a box of Jello to Wal-mart?" I always tell her no. I don't think she really expects me to say yes anymore! Ha ha!

Drago Family said...

Wish I would have joined that club before they asked me to speak in sacrament last week with a 2 week old.

Nonna said...

When you're spread too thin, nothing ever gets done..."No" can be a very powerful word...it is also becomes guilt free after you use it a few times !

Loved this post !

Victoria said...

Can I offer a suggestion? I had a friend who was trying to break herself of the habit of telling people "It's okay," when it really isn't okay. So she wore a big 1/2 inch wide rubber band around her wrist, and whenever she broke her resolution, she pulled that thing and let it snap her painfully in the wrist. What I liked about it, was when people would ask why she just did that... then she could say, "Oh, I'm sorry, I have to do that whenever I say something is okay when it really isn't." It sort of puts everyone else in their place :) You should try it!

Doncha Wannano said...

I want to join up! I have a big problem saying yes and then never doing what I said I would. (oops!)
And I am a major pushover. Other leech people figure it out fast and then repeatedly abuse my good will. Leeches suck. hehe

Tracy said...

LOL! You guys are cracking me up!

Julia said...

Thanks for stalking me! I love stalking. It's not such a bad thing anymore right?

ShOrt StoRy said...

Is it too late to join...but what happens if we all join? Will the guys have to pick up all the slack, maybe we're doomed? :)

Cynthia said...

I am so with you on this! I am learning to say no with much less guilt. I've been pretty stressed out and I finally realized that rarely a day passes that I'm not doing something for someone else. Whether it's watching kids or running them to a Dr. appointment or whatever, it all takes time. I'm cutting back. I have to because I can't get the stuff done I need to get done and everyone just takes me for granted anyway because I LET them. Sigh.

Annie said...

Are you really encouraging your presidency to say "NO"???

Don't worry Tracy for you I will say "YES"!!!

Tracy said...

LOL! Only if you REALLY need to!!!