my blog title explained:

It's what I often say to my husband. Especially when he's frustrated that I'm running late for church. There comes a time when certain happenings just shouldn't be a surprise anymore.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Imperfections and Second Chances

I've been meaning to post about Jessica's baptism, but when I started the post, I wanted to talk about Jessica a little bit and I haven't had the time to really do that yet. So I will blog about her and her baptism, but it might not be for a little while.

So I thought I would post about second chances. It seems that there have been a lot of happenings in my life lately that have involved mistakes and opinions and judgments and hurt feelings.

I think it's very easy to be afraid to let people see that we're less than perfect. And it's very easy to be critical of others when they don't completely agree with us. I think I've been on both sides of that coin and I wish I couldn't say that. But it's true. I often feel judged and I judge other people. And I wish I didn't. Because we're all just hanging out - going through pretty much the same trials, just different specifics. I think we have WAY more in common than we think. And I think our commonalities can be found more in our imperfections than anything else.

I remember, growing up, that I just loved to be ME, with no pretending. When I was young, I didn't care what others thought of me. I loved life and ENJOYED it. And somewhere along the line, I became more concerned about fitting into a mold and trying to be something I'm not. I think, in the process, I've lost some of myself. Why do we do that --- get caught up in the person others think we should be instead of who we ARE???

I wish we could all just accept ourselves and others just as we are - with all our failings and idiosyncrasies. That we could just enjoy life and get over the mistakes that we and others make. That we could focus more on the second chances, instead of the mistakes themselves.

Wouldn't that make life way more fun??? I've been trying to be more true to myself. It's not easy. But I'm going to keep on trying. The true me is very forgiving. And fun. I don't dress up my words with frills to make them pretty - I just say what I think. And it's often the WRONG thing. (That's one of my most annoying weaknesses.) I struggle with being a good mom. I struggle with being a good wife. I REALLY struggle with being a good daughter. I get frustrated when things don't go my way. I have great ideas. I'm horrible at keeping house. And some people think I'm organized, but I'm really not. My life isn't perfect. And I need a never ending supply of second chances.

And I guess that's all that I wanted to say. Don't we all need second chances like that???

8 comments:

Lara Neves said...

Absolutely we need second chances. Even more, I think we need to just accept that we aren't perfect, and stop comparing ourselves to others, like you said. The world would be a better place!

Mammamia said...

I really enjoyed this post. It sounds like there have been some hurt feelings going around and I'm sorry. It's never easy to navigate those situations gracefully. I know. It seems I say the wrong thing far too often; and think the wrong thing almost always.

I've have found though that I make way more friends when I'm open about my shortcomings, which are many, than when I try to hide them and be "perfect".

Perhaps in all of our quests to become Christlike we forget that it's impossible, and that the only way to actually do become perfect is to come unto him and let him heal us? I think when I forget that is when I see my juior high school side come out - when I start hiding my lack of Christlike attributes and start criticizing others for what I perceive to be their lack of Christlike attributes in an attempt to make myself feel better. It's hard.

I think we're all working on these same things, you were just brave enough to go public about it. Keep being you. We were all made with individual strengths (and weaknesses) for a reason. I'm sure there are things on this earth that only you can do because of who you are.

Annie said...

Tracy, don't ever change. I like you just the way you are. You had me fooled. Ha ha.

Melissa said...

You are great girl! Don't sell yourself short. We are all just hanging in there doing our thing. I find the older I get the less I care what others think (or maybe I've been like that for a while?) Don't worry about others - I gotcha your back girl!

Loralee and the gang... said...

Yes, we all need second chances. Sounds like you have been facing some challenges or faced with some challenging people lately... What really makes me chuckle is when people say they admire me for my patience, or my organization, and I am not usually good at either of those things. Maybe they just caught me at a good moment. What does that mean? That I am good at putting on a show when people are looking? Or that I'm really trying and they witnessed a success? I don't really know for sure... Has this happened to you?
:P

Della Hill said...

Very well said.
I am also someone who walks around with my foot in my mouth the majority of the time.
I also understand the conflict of surviving in this world without being what the world thinks you should be.
Have you noticed that even when a person is "perfect" they often don't really fit in the world?
Just be you. And good luck with it.
(I'd love to give you advice, but I don't know how to resolve these issues either).
-Della

kidding...right? said...

Thank goodness JD has given me an unlimited supply of second chances. I wish I were better to the people I love the most. I'm just glad they love me despite my imperfections, because I have a lot of them!!

The Bowden Family said...

I loved this post, especially since I'm one of those people who seems to have been born without a filter between my brain and my mouth.

Your blog is wonderful, and I enjoy the candor and humor! You're one funny girl. I'll definitely be checking back often!