Yeah. Uh huh. I went there.
So my husband and I have recently reinstituted our Friday date night. We kind of got out of the habit when we were going out instead of staying in. It used to be that we would rent a movie and get take out and have a date night after the kids went to bed. Then we started going out and it was getting expensive and we found ourselves going out less and less until our date night disappeared.
Since then, we've really come to see how important date night is. Whether you go out or stay in - that time together is essential.
So now we're getting back in the habit. We recently watched a string of chick flicks. Then a guy movie.
It used to be that Matt would say we needed to watch a guy movie for every chick flick. But that's really not an even split. See, a guy movie is worth THREE funny chick flicks. Now, if it's a tear jerker, in any way, then I think it can be equal to a guy movie. Romantic comedies, however, have to be 3 to 1.
Last week we watched P.S. I Love You. I liked it. It was touching. But I thought it was a little hokey because they were married for 12 years. We've been married for 11 years. Sorry - it was a little hokey. I put them at the "4 years of marriage" mark. But what can you expect when the author is a single 21 year old?
So, after watching the incredibly touching P.S. I Love You, I was ready for a guy movie. Here comes the other clarifier: the guy movie has to be a good action flick. If it's hard core, then it's worth a whole lot more chick flicks, as in TWO tear jerkers, or SIX romantic comedies.
For clarification on guy movies: Live Free or Die Hard - regular guy movie. Tropic Thunder - sorry, this one is worth WAY more!
Also, any guy movie over 2 hours is worth more chick flicks. Or old guy movies, like The Godfather series or Clint Eastwood movies or anything by National Lampoon. Sorry. Worth MORE.
The Pink Panther - worth WAY more.
Now, there might be some men that may complain about this appropriate ratio. They may think it's not acceptable. If I might lovingly and respectfully say one thing before you object - Women speak an average of 20,000 words per day, while men speak an average of 7000 words per day.
We're just going with the math. :D
my blog title explained:
It's what I often say to my husband. Especially when he's frustrated that I'm running late for church. There comes a time when certain happenings just shouldn't be a surprise anymore.
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
The Chick Flick to Guy Movie Ratio: What's Appropriate and What's Acceptable
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Amen Sista!!
My husband is a movie snob. There are very few movies he actually loves. I found over the years that he picks really good movies that I would never pick on my own but that I really enjoy.
The tragic truth is that there seems to be FAR fewer chick flicks out there compared to all of the dude movies that fall under "action". I'm with you on the "it has to be a QUALITY action movie" For me it's less Die Hard (any of the 20 versions) and more Jason Bourne! Have a great day - what's on tap for tonight's movie? It should be a regular Friday installment!
Matt is a movie buff, so along with Annie I normally like most movies Matt wants to watch. We love Netflix for our cheap movie nights. Matt also likes a lot of the chick flicks I like :) P.S. I Love You--I liked, Definitely, Maybe--cute movie, 29 Dress--good movie. Matt liked and watched all 3 so apparently I am do to watch a guy movie. It has been a while :)
Hi Tracy,
I sure enjoy your posts. You do have a great blog.
For the sake of mathematical correctness I must point out that you accidentally inverted your ratio.
It should read:
Woman: 21000 words :1
Man: 7000 words :3
The number 7 goes into 21,000, three times.
This means that you should watch 3 guy movies for every 1 chick flick.
This of course is the most simple derivation. It can also be derived using a logarithmic 3rd order polynomial regression function.
In terms of communication patterns, these have been meticulously developed over thousands of years. In fact male speech pattern has evolved over time so as to be extremely efficient, economy of words, if you will. This obviously helps when out hunting so as not to scare off the dinner for the family. The man with less developed communication patterns would flap his gums all day long; scare off the game leaving his poor family to starve. Not a pretty picture.
Keep up the great literary work. I am happy to volunteer my skills to you in the future for mathematical accuracy and editing of your blog, if you like.
See you soon,
-Daytona5220
Is your husband kidding with the 1500 word essay on the correctness of your blog post (which sex rambles more)? Who gave him this blog address anyway????? We still love you Matt - even if you feel the need to remind us that women are far more evolved than men. I know I am reminded every time Rodney zones out on ESPN, leaves clothes in his wake and "scratches himself" in public....Ciao!
LOL! Matt's asked me a few times if I'm going to respond. But how can I respond to flawed reasoning? We are viewing the ratio from opposing sides, so there's no way we're going to come to an agreement.
Unfortunately, Matt is going to be in the minority on this blog - since the majority of people reading it is female. There's no way his reasoning is going to be accepted. ;)
But I have to say - he and I have gotten so much mileage out of some of these posts. We can laugh and jokingly argue and have a good time with it.
I think he had a great time coming up with his response. :D
Post a Comment